Thursday, February 8, 2007

Quiet

I am so lucky to be a stay-at-home mom. One of the many benefits is every morning at 7:30 when hubby leaves for work, the kids put on their backpacks and head out. I kiss them all good-bye, tell son to ride safely and shut the door. Silence. Sometimes it's the best sound to a mom. At the beginning of the school year, I would often go all day without any noise; no t.v., no music, just the sounds of silence.

My husband doesn't understand how I can stand to be in an empty, quiet house all day. As soon as he or the kiddos walk in the door, the t.v. goes on. They can't function in silence. I think it's multi-tasking in a busy world. The kiddos are happiest when the t.v. is on, they are playing with their friends and listening to music.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by all the noise. It doesn't take much to put me over the edge when the t.v. is blaring, the kids are fighting, the dog is barking...it's enough to drive me to madness! Am I the only one like this?

1 comment:

Suzanne Earley said...

I love being home in a quiet house, too! When I'm in my studio I often turn the TV on (DVDs, not just regular TV...), but more often than not, the house is quiet. Our TV doesn't go on when everybody comes home, but the noise level definitely goes up. We just had a 4 day weekend and I was so glad when everybody went back to school and work. I love them all, but I also need the quiet!